Directions to Stony Brook Campus
Directions to Campus:
- From New York City, take the Long Island Expressway (LIE, I-495) eastbound from the Queens Midtown Tunnel in Manhattan or the Throgs Neck Bridge or Whitestone Bridge in Queens to exit 62.
- Follow Nicolls Road (Route 97) north for 9 miles. The main entrance to the University is on the left.
- To find the campus via GPS, enter the address "100 Nicolls Road, Stony Brook, NY 11790."
Take the Long Island Railroad's Port Jefferson line from Penn Station in Manhattan to Stony Brook. The LIRR station is at the north end of the campus; bus service to the central campus is provided.
- Trains to and from Penn generally require transfers at Jamaica or Huntington. Hicksville is also a transfer point on some lines. Find schedule and fare information here.
Car ferries cross Long Island Sound at Bridgeport, Connecticut to Port Jefferson, Long Island.
- Take Route 25A west to Nicolls Road, and turn left on Nicolls.
- The University entrances are the first three intersections you come to.
- From New London, Connecticut to Orient Point, Long Island, take Route 25A west to Nicolls Road and proceed as above.
Long Island's Islip-MacArthur Airport is 16 miles from the campus and is serviced by direct flights by major airlines and commuter lines.
- Driving directions to Stony Brook University from Islip-MacArthur Airport:
Exit the airport and turn left onto Veterans Memorial Highway (Route 454 West).
Merge onto Sunrise Highway (Route 27) and take the second exit onto Nicolls Road. Drive north for 12 miles.
The main entrance to the University is on the left.
- New York City Area Airports (JFK, LaGuardia and Newark) are 50 miles to the west.
From Kennedy Airport, you may take the AirTrain to Jamaica Station and transfer to the LIRR for the train to Stony Brook (Port Jefferson line).
Parking on campus is free on Friday afternoon and all day Saturday and Sunday.
For additional information about travel, see: Visiting Stony Brook
page maintained by Mary
I. Arlin, Ithaca College
Last modified: Friday, 1 February 2013